How to install Backtrack 5 in vmware step by step

Installing Backtrack in vmware 

Things to remeber before start 
  1. Download Backtrack from here
  2. I am using vmware workstation if you don't have workstation , no problem get vmwareplayer 
allright ,   here is the installation video




or you can follow these steps ...


Step 1:



step 2 :




step 3:

Step 4:



Step 5:




step 6 :


Type "Startx" to get gui






Step 7 :

this will start installer 
Step 7:


Then click forward and follow instruction 


full screeshots are here 

43 comments:

  1. 64-bit of course, it said so in the file-name ISO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Backtrack 5 stalls and doesn't load the gui, can someone help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. check the resolution settings change the resolution and it will work fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many disk space should allocate?
    As my laptop only have 128gb ssd. disk space are limited

    ReplyDelete
  6. its takes atleast 7 gb after install
    but 13 will be good enough for normal installations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning!

    Can you explain how to do it on windows 7 64bit, please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah ..

    download vmplayer 
    or virtualbox (they both are great )
    and also download backtrack 5 iso image from 
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads


    install it like another ubuntu OS in vm 

    ReplyDelete
  9. when i type startx i gives me a error ..... on my laptop which is dell inspiron n5110 with core i7 processor 4 gb ram .. what should i do???????????????

    ReplyDelete
  10. try this 

    fix-splash
    rm /root/.kde/cache-root/icon-cac­he.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-root/plasma_t­heme_Volatile.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/icon-cache­.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/plasma_the­me_Volatile.kcache

    ReplyDelete
  11. INSTALLATION STUCKS IN THE BEGINNING at the screen with Copyright (ISOLINUX 3.63.....), nothing happens then

    ReplyDelete
  12. hitting ENTER does nothing, will try with x32 version instead of x64...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm using desktop... and vmware cannot detect my internal wireless card??? help me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. try to use in bridge mode or buy a USB wireless card card ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. can i use this vmware version to boot in pc & not vmware

    ReplyDelete
  16. windows 7 support booting with VHD

    search vhd windows 7 boot for more details

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm using dell inspiron 32 , when i install bt 5 it needs login what is that bt login and password. help me please

    ReplyDelete
  18. login username : root
    password : toor
    you will need to type 'startx' to enter into graphical mode

    ReplyDelete
  19. installing backtrack5 on a conputer its no problem lol but at vmware i cant - i dont have a install buttonon the desktop and the backtrack os cant find my wlan stick - whats the problem - ?
    its only with vmware ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. download right version from
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads

    and if you cant find install button then
    open terminal and paste
    sh -c "ubiquity"

    and for wlan make sure drivers installed
    see there
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Drivers

    ReplyDelete
  21. i have downloaded the bt5r2 kde 32 .....so to install where is the .iso file...there is one file which is over 2 gb and that is .squashfs file...how to get the iso?(pardon me i m just a beginner)

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/pool/2/mirror/backtrack/BT5R2-KDE-32.iso

    that is direct download link for kde32

    ReplyDelete
  23. or you can wait till 13th august for bt5r3 release

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've installed BackTrack5 into VMware Player on my Windows machine.
    (NOT using it as a Live Boot DVD. It's an actual install.)

    Is there now a way to go in the OTHER direction?

    Take the VMware BackTrack5 installation and create a Live Boot DVD from it?

    I need to run a slightly modified BackTrack in another machine, that doesn't have VMware. So I can only use a Live Boot DVD there.

    (I was surprised how many drivers are missing from BackTrack.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. see some thing
    http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/ubuntu.html
    like application

    ReplyDelete
  26. hello i would like to ask you a question..Is there any problem if I have already installed as a second os bt r3?I mean i will not have any problems with windows and bt partiotions right?

    ReplyDelete
  27. hello i would like to ask you a question..Is there any problem if I have already installed as a second os bt r3?I mean i will not have any problems with windows and bt partitions right?thanks in advance.:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. hello i would like to ask you a question..Is there any problem if I have already installed as a second os bt r3?I mean i will not have any problems with windows and bt partitions right?thanks in advance:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i'll be fine ..

    but its better to use in vm or install in separate hard drive

    ReplyDelete
  30. hello... im using VMware workstation.. but when i play bactrack on VMware workstation it come command like this " operating system not found"... why i cannot install backtrack5?

    ReplyDelete
  31. first you get the bt ISO image then in VMware settings provide the ISO location after which the vm should run normally

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks it's very useful tutorial. But if somebody want to install backtrack 5 side by side with another OS, like Windows 7. You can read my article about Install Backtrack 5 dual boot

    ReplyDelete
  33. my issue is I am not trying to install BT into my VMware.. I am doing the opposite but can't find the right 'command line' to install the VMware Player. I am currently up and running
    Back Track 5, but want to install the VMware Player to add the Windows 7 virtual.
    I think once I have the correct install command line I should be good to go.
    any help is appreciated greatly.
    *email- aloha.siempre at gmail*

    ReplyDelete
  34. sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    gksudo bash./VMware-Player-4.0.2-591240.x86_64.bundle

    and installation will start normally

    ReplyDelete

leave your comments
Thanks !